Friday 6 November 2009

Day 34 Week 5

A soldier from 3 Battalion the Rifles' was killed in a blast in Helmund yesterday, may he Rest In Peace. That's my son's Regiment. Have heard nothing so am desperately hoping C OK - and then consumed with guilt because I realise I'm hoping my own is safe possibly at the cost of another mother's child.

I heard the news last night from a cousin, who had been contacted by another cousin, to check which regiment C was with and she rang me and said 'have you heard anything from C?' And I said 'why?' and she said 'I'm so sorry but there's been an explosion'. To which I said 'anyone dead' and she said 'E I'm so sorry' and I felt my stomach fall away from my body. Then in the following few seconds, which took an age to pass, I thought 'I haven't heard anything and I should have done by now so he must be OK'. The selfish wish that my own was unharmed was the first overwhelming thought to counteract the terrifying news. Then my mind raced through the scenario; was my son there; was it a close comrade; what did those around have to deal with; will it happen again. I think I know the answer to the last one.

Then when I checked the news this morning saw that the loss had been overtaken by the massacre in Texas.

3 Rifles took over in Sangin from 2 Rifles, and apparently that's quite rare for one battalion to be replaced by another from the same regiment, consequently the handover ceremony was full of bonhomie. But now it's business as usual.

Saw that the Prime Minister has made a speech outlining how deep rooted corruption must be wiped out in Afghanistan.

Haven't heard from H. R home from uni and stressed about the bank changing her account from student to regular customer - apparently they're all knobs. C's friends coming to our village remembrance service on Sunday and now I'm going to have my bath as the nurse has just left.

The homefront has to hold it together for the sake of those away, and so may God Bless all those who are in danger and keep them protected from harm. Can't write any more today.

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment