Monday 2 November 2009

Day 30 Week 5

Well, my poor little car is possibly dead. Turned the engine over yesterday and she juddered and coughed and then there was the most awful burning smell and am waiting for the AA to arrive to examine the damage. My friend was with me and we leapt away from her as if she was about to explode like some ghastly scene from a disaster movie, but then realised the burning smell was exaggerated by someone having a tandoori barbeque nearby. Still she's obviously very poorly though and am waiting to find out if it really is the great garage in the sky.


Poor Tango-two-two-zero is an old lady now but when we first had her she was barely six months old and so pretty - the kids had such a kick out of her because my little old Fiesta was well and trully run into the ground and she was so bright and nippy and fun. She's taken me and them around the world nearly six times though (in mileage - not literally) and am sad to think the time may have come.

Wasn't intending to buy a car the day I got her, was actually going to buy a TV but saw her shining flame red in the sunshine on the garage forecourt, and fell in love. H and C were with me, C because he was a kind thoughtful child who was helping me and H because he was grounded for a month for some near-criminal activity which we won't go into now. H skulked like a monster and refused to test drive but C was full of enthusiasm and said 'can we get her mum?' and R took me on one side to remind me of the dangers of impulse buying - apparently it's a weakness of mine.

Both boys had their first driving experiences behind her wheel and she has been very kind and looked after us in situations that could have ended in disaster more than once. Why is it possible to become attached to inanimate objects? Do machines really have personalities or is it human nature to try to project personality onto lumps of metal and steel? My brother's metaphysical questioning is seeping through - I guess she's just a link with the past.

R back at uni, and the district nurse just left, and I'm making cauliflower soup. The day is one of beautiful golden autumnal sunshine again so I think I might go for my constitutional walk before the AA get here.

Saw another soldier was killed over the weekend. May God rest is soul.

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment