Tuesday 3 November 2009

Day 31 Week 5

Sometimes you just have to get on with things. My mother used to say that, 'stop dwelling and just get on with it', and am trying to apply it as thought for the day.

Realise I know how the day's going to feel from the moment I open my eyes and this morning I just felt exhausted. Not the 'gosh I feel a bit shattered today', but the 'oh my God I don't think I can't get out of bed' kind of tired. Then my mind flies like google Earth around the globe to foreign fields and suddenly realise I'm behaving like a spoilt brat feeling sorry for themselves. The bad times, do afterall, make the good times worthwhile.

It's raining so heavily today, like one of those days in childhood when the kids would don their wellington's to play puddle-splashing and they'd come in all drenched, with bright red faces and I'd peel their soaking clothes off and throw them in the bath. Then they'd sit on the sofa watching the telly consuming vast amounts of toast and jam.

Mindfulness, am going to try and work on mindfulness. The Buddha taught that the state of mindfulness was the seventh element of the Noble Eightfold Path, and that when applied it will help lead to liberation and enlightenment. Basically it means focussing the mind on the single moment of the here and now, and removing past memory and future concerns, in order to clear thoughts into the inner and outer aspects of consciousness. You kind of realise your brain is continually passing judgement, through an internal commentary on your musings and deeds, and by so doing is constraining and preventing happiness. So you shift the emphasis away from the inner judgemental voice, and often programmed response, to release the mind in order to allow it to find joy where otherwise there would just be fear and misery. At least I think that's the theory - will try and give it a go.

Missed a call from H so Lusty must be back in port. R hopefully safely back at uni. Cute AA man was an absolute hero and after nearly two hours worked his magic, disconnected my throttle sensor and replaced my coil - all sounds rather gynaecological not mechanical. Apparently car not dead but old and tired - know how it feels.

The cauliflower soup was delicious, how H, C and R used to love home made soup with lashings of hot french bread and butter. Isn't food evocative?

Lots of prayers for safety and well being of absent friends.

Speak soon. A sodlier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment