Saturday 13 March 2010

Day 161 Week 22

Woke up to the today programme and a retired General and a boffin arguing over whether a former soldier should be able to speak out politically about decisions made by politicians. The boffin thought opinions should remain a strictly private affair. Can't help but wonder why it is that our elected representatives should regard themselves to be impervious to criticism from those no longer serving, but from whom while they did, they expected so much silent unquestioning obedience. Surely they, more than anyone, have earnt the right to voice their opinions? We seem to have bred an oligarchy which holds itself beyond recall.

Went to Brighton and had one of the loveliest days in ages. Walked along the undercliff by the shore with the sky and sea a gentle calm turquoise and chatted with my new friend about childhoods and youth, had a lovely leisurely lunch at the Marina, and then walked the couple of miles back to the car. As we drove home the sky faded from silvery into golden and it looked beautiful. Managed to loose several things many times, but didn't fall or knock anything over and my new friend never minded a bit and is really, really nice.

Walked in the house to R being lovely and was blown away when she said 'I'm, like, going over to dad's, like, really early tomorrow, but, like, not for long, and then would you, like, like to do something?'.

At which point the phone rang and it was the innocuous ordinary number which symbolises C ringing from Afghanistan. He told me he was fine and glad to be back with the boys. He told me he was deaf after I screamed when I heard his voice (even louder then usual as I initially thought I'd rejected the call instead of accepting it). He told me he was living at the same place as before. He told me the friend from the next village was now working directly with him. And he told me that they'd been 'out and about' that day and had found 'loads of IEDs' which the disposal guys had dealt with.

I'm trying not to cry.

Heard from fellow soldier's Mum and she's just about coping. Not heard from H. R just popped down into the village. And I want to think about walking by the sea and not bombs and explosions and awfulness.

Look after them all please Lord.

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment