Tuesday 8 December 2009

Day 66 Week 9

Well that was scary - couldn't log in and it kept telling me to go away and that I didn't exist and I had enabled cookies???? Often thought IT was a dark art.

Missed another call last night. This is quite extraordinary because I literally have the phone welded to my personage and on the two occasions I misplace it, I miss calls. This time I had left it in my coat pocket in the downstairs loo with the door closed, only for ten minutes, but sod's law kicked in and that was that.

Received a letter from C this morning. It was so sweet, thanking me for parcels and for sorting out all the financial confusion at the start, I was so touched but I don't want him to feel indebted in the least, it's my privilege to be able to help him in any way I can. He made the inevitable quip about H being the second favourite son - they have this rivalry that each is the favourite and the truth is I neither have a most favourite or least favourite child, each is an integral third of a whole that is infinite and immeasurable. He said it was OK out there and that he was getting used to things now and would I please give the letter he'd written to H. The funny thing is his handwriting has changed and it looks like an old man's script, much neater though.

H is due to graduate at Dartmouth on Friday and it looked for a while as if I wasn't able to go. But a friend has taken three days of work to drive me down (sitting with leg elevated on the back seat like a resplendent old duchess), and H has arranged for reasonable adjustment to be made re standing, walking and leg room and so it is possible for me to attend. The awful thing is though I am dreading leaving the village - suppose someone needs to get hold of me urgently, how would they know where to contact me. And so, irony of ironies, for the second year running I get to see my ex-husband on his birthday. Every silver lining has a cloud.

Is there really any conspiracy attached to coincidence or is it just fate. What are the odds of both boys ending up as officers in the forces and each graduating on their father's birthday?

Saw another poor boy was killed yesterday RIP.

Watched the widow of the bomb disposal expert on Newsnight last night and she looked as if the light had gone off inside her, she did speak extremely well though. She emphasised the hidden toll of the badly injured - a lot of them truly horrific in nature and how we must not forget them and their sacrifice. From 2001 to 2009 there have been two hundred and six service personnel killed in total and in this year alone we have just lost the hundredth casualty - puts into context what a bloody battle this is.

Dreadful car bombs in Baghdad killing over a hundred people and injuring five hundred. The Chilcot Enquiry has been told that there was no forward planning whatsoever for what would happen after the invasion when the vacuum of Saddam needed to be filled. So we have more carnage. Why do we never learn from history.

Just feel so tired all the time.

R back at uni and the house is quiet. Lots of love to those away.

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment