Friday 4 December 2009

Day 62 Week 8

Well it's R's birthday and she was taken out for dinner by her boyfriend last night and she's having friends around for drinks tonight here. Can't believe how quickly the years have flown, doesn't seem five minutes since she was born - and in all honesty going even further back, to when I was nineteen myself. Would I do things differently if I had a magic wand? The answer would have to be a definite no because I wouldn't want anything different about my kids whatsoever and that's what really counts. Might tweak a few of the minor details though.

She was such a good little baby, placid and nice natured and absolutely no trouble whatsoever. She was even born really quickly - we arrived at the hospital and half past midnight in a bitterly cold December wind, and out she popped at one-fifteen. My pain relief consisted of two paracetamols - not to be recommended as an effective treatment for labour pains. And then she was the most amenable little girl, kindness personified and with such a sweet countenance. Happy memories. Moving swiftly through the teenage years, can honestly say how proud I am to have such a gorgeous darling daughter, well most of the time!

At last some good news. H just rang and he's passed his course and is now a Sub Lieutenant in the Royal Navy. The week was gruelling and he said he had four hours sleep in six days and he had to play the role of four officers from captain down and apparently did really well, so proud mummy moment and well done H. It wasn't a given that he was through and some poor people have failed and have to repeat at least the last six weeks, and some have gone completely. Then I said 'you know it's your sister's birthday today don't you luvvie?', and he said 'shit, no, yes, no, yes it's not, what date is it today, let me look at my watch, it's the third, no it's not til tomorrow'. So I replied 'did you forget to put the date back at the end of last month darling because November only has thirty days?' and he said 'bugger'. Lets hope his 'navy head' is more organised.

Saw my friend and fellow soldier's Mum yesterday afternoon and it was so good to speak to her. Her son did successfully survive his first tour thank God, but she told me she thought she was going mad during the six months. He's a lovely boy but sadly out of a group of four who joined up and went to Harrogate together, all the others are gone. All so young.

Not heard from C so lots of prayers that all is safe and well. Another parcel ready to go with love and kisses and hugging.

It's the village Christmas open evening tonight. There's carols around the Christmas tree with all the village schools in attendance, and the shops open late and offer mulled wine and mince pies. The scouts provide a barbeque outside the greengrocer's who in turn roasts chestnuts on the pavement, and the church is open with the choir rehearsing more festivities. Everything of course accompanied with hats, gloves, scarves and clouds of white breath in the crisp early evening air. It's all together so traditional and like being beamed back in time.

Back to reality and R looked at me with utter disdain when I asked if she'd come and take a stroll with me down to see the little ones doing what she used to love to do, when not that much younger. 'You must be like, joking, like, and anyway, like, why would I want to do that? Here's a list of the drinks for tonight'. Will try and be brave and put in an appearance but memories of happier times might turn me into a coward with avoidance tactics.

The day is golden and have just had my broken kitchen drawer fixed.

Love to all.

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment