Wednesday 2 December 2009

Day 60 Week 8

Well, I sat in the car in the sunshine as planned and bless, on two occasions people tapped on the window and asked if I was OK. I suppose it must have looked odd but it was too cold to sit outside and I had the radio for company - still sweet of them to care. And then the strangest thing happened and the 'Marie Celeste' came outside to wander for a while and didn't realise I was there, and so she was startled when I got out of the car, and she actually smiled. I do have the loveliest bunch of neighbours and what with them, my family and friends, and my colleagues, think I just might survive this dv.

Was just talking to fellow soldier's Mum and she's heard from her boy and thankfully he's safe, and she said it's really strange because whilst she's talking to him she feels so utterly happy and then the moment the call finishes she crashes down into total sadness. And that's just how it is. Utter elation at hearing them and then boom, crushing loss when they've gone.

Just found a message on my phone from another soldier's Mum and I'm going to ring her back when this is finished. Her boy isn't out there at the moment, but he's already completed one tour and when I last spoke to him last he said he was looking forward to going out again - because that way he makes some money. Isn't it sad that young people have to go through all this because that's the only way they can supplement low wages. Unless, of course, they're back for rest and respite leave and can moonlight guarding officials shredding evidence of MPs creative expense claims. Something's gone hideously wrong somewhere.

Speaking of which, amongst the many rumours doing the rounds at the moment is one saying that the two weeks leave they are given in the middle of the tour is to be scrapped to save on the cost of the flights, and the other is that the length of the tours is to be increased to nine months, again a cost cutting exercise.

Thank goodness Obama has made a decision and I thought he spoke really well to the troops. He obviously didn't commit the extra resources lightly and seems to genuinely feel his reponsibility for the safety of the serving men and women, and thank heavens he seems to be a really intelligent independent thinker. There must be an awful lot going on behind the scenes and probably just as well we don't know it all.

One of H and C's friends from the next village is also out there with 3 Rifles. He's actually in the TA and knew for six months he was going out - but didn't tell his mother until the last minute because he daren't. Funny isn't it that these young people can be more afraid of their mums than of the Talliban.

Was going to cancel all Christmas festivities and then someone pointed out that I had to light my Advent candle as it was a light for those away to follow home. Overwhelmed by everyone's support - thank you.

Please Lord keep all safe and well

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment