Friday 8 January 2010

Day 97 Week 13

Day 3 of the big lock-in and my home becoming a prison. More of the same expected over the weekend and everyone's extremely fed up.

Saw the long-term weather forecast and it basically said this was just the beginning, so decided I had to face the fear and leave the house to test the ice-worthiness of dodgy ankle. Gingerly made my way up the garden to the footpath, and then suddenly and without any warning spectacular non-Torvil and Dean impersonation followed as feet skidded outwards in opposite directions and ended up thumping the ground with my bum. God it was painful. Sat there like a lemon and couldn't decide which hurt most, backside or pride. Then the attempted erection of self was equally humiliating as had to crawl to an object and use it as a mounting block, in this case the water hydrant and hedge. Promptly scuttled back indoors and am back to looking at the world through the window. Have had several breath-taking falls in my time but it never gets any easier.

BTM still throbbing and am sitting on several cushions and think I might have to lie down and take the weight off it. There doesn't seem to be any end to all this.

As I haven't been able to leave the house have been totally reliant on others to bring in supplies. R's been fantastic. She pluckily trudges through the ice to the local shop and returns with bread, milk, loo rolls, teabags or whatever should be required. Those four are certainly the absolute staples of modern living when bunkered up.

One of the drawbacks to all this is that I haven't been able to send my weekly parcel out to C and that's troubling me alot. Feel I'm actually doing something to help him when one is kissed, hugged, posted and dispatched. His friends told me he now has a date for his R and R two weeks home (God willing). He let everyone else in the Platoon choose theirs first and it means he got the last slot, so when he returns he should only be back out there for another month (again more God willing). All being well, it will be hard to see him return to it all again.

Had a text from H and he said he's good and will ring home at the weekend dv. R out with friends as she should be back at uni next week, well provided the ice-cap has receded. Apart from being extremely sore am devastated by totally disastrous return to work and feel like I'm going round the twist again.

What can't be cured must be endured.

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment