Saturday 30 January 2010

Day 119 Week 16

Just driven back down the lanes (Buckinghamshire is criss-crossed by miles of single track roads with passing places, just like the north of Scotland) and some stupid idiot drove straight at me as I was going up a hill, with their full beam on and consequently I now have two flashing circles of gold in the middle of my vision. Had been visiting the parents of one of C's best friends, and they are also soldier's Mum and Dad. So reassuring to see them, they're so optimistic and always feel invigorated after being in their company.

Prior to that was in Tescos and my phone rang and it was H. He was in France, at the French Naval Academy in Brest and had just had the humiliation of leading an RN side which was beaten resoundingly at one of our national sports by an opposition on fire. Guess you could call it revenge for Trafalgar. The French scored three tries and the Navy managed to claw one back at the end, but it hurt. He's enjoying every minute of the warfare training but the pace is relentless and doesn't get a minute to himself. Won't be back in Blighty until Monday and strongly suspect there will be immense drowning of sorrows tonight.

Reminded me of the lunch at his graduation in December when I overheard two Admirals muttering darkly about the Army's underhand tactic of fielding six Fijian internationals in their side at Twickenham last year, when the Army squashed the Navy by nearly fifty points. The Admirals thought it typical of shady dealings by the pongos and weren't at all happy. I was there at the actual match and it was terrific. Was sitting next to a naval family and the father was clutching an Ensign which transpired was grabbed at the last minute from Coventry just before she sank during the Falklands. He'd borrowed it from a friend and promised if the Navy scored he'd hold it aloft and in the last five minutes of the game I had the pleasure of holding the right hand corner when a try was at last scored. Absolutely brilliant day out.

And then when I arrived back in our village, my phone rang again and this time it was from C, and he sounded utterly worn out. He's moved to another location and it's much better than the previous one - please God he'll be as safe there as he was before. So solemn and grave. I said I'd seen his testimonial and he said the lad was a terrific guy, one of the best. He went on to tell me that the boy from our next village who's in his platoon actually came back on the repatriation flight with the two Riflemen yesterday. That apparently was a conscious decision, it was deemed important to bring the poor souls back looked after by their own. I managed to hold it together and told him how proud I was of him and how well he was doing and how much I was looking forward to seeing him, and as soon as the call finished I sobbed, and sobbed, and sobbed.

Saw the moon rise though and it was spectacular. A huge golden ball, almost looked like the sun itself.

Was invited to a Burns night supper in the village tonight and called in to see everyone and say thank you but somehow I don't feel lighthearted and so a quiet night in will do instead. The hall looked so pretty, with tartan, fairy lights and two enormous tables beautifully laid. The son of one of the organisers has just joined the Mercian Regiment and we caught up on news.

R home and looking fabulous and off to yet another party. And I'm going to get into my pyjamas, have a glass of wine, snuggle down on the sofa and watch Pride and Prejudice.

Met an Irish guy who comes from where my family comes from in Ireland, and he's actually quite nice.

May God's kindness continue to guard everyone from harm.

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment