Tuesday 5 January 2010

Day 94 Week 13

Went to work and had a really good day. Arrived in the morning still feeling a bit disorientated but then sorted out e-mails and started to feel like I belonged again. Interview with boss who's amazing - strict but extremely fair and supportive - and then joy of joy spent a couple of hours shredding. Shredding is definitely one of life's treasured secrets, can't possibly describe the satisfaction gained from inserting the pristine little sheets into the devilish teeth only to have them pulverised in nanoseconds. Needless to say in my head sometimes it wasn't paper I was destroying.

Then double joy of joy when a gorgeous friend asked if I would like to go and see the Soldier's with them at the Albert Hall in April and was completely blown away.

Went to the park at lunchtime with my buddy to get some fresh air and it was so cold and biting. A huge flurry of excitement swept the office because our area has been put on an extreme weather warning with up to a foot of snow possibly falling by the morning. Snow is always tantalizing in concept - it's just the reality that's a pain in the neck.

Anyway drove home in the dark as is the way during the winter months. Only get to see my house in daylight at the weekend for many days a year - it's like becoming a mole scurrying around in the gloom. Arrived back in the village and popped into Budgen's for a few basics so I didn't have to go out later, and it was like a scene from an eve of war drama. Scores of people scrambling around for provisions with no milk, bread, hardly any meet or veg and metres of empty shelving. Panic buying. Was concerned because I thought they said the snow would last for two to three days and maybe all those people knew something I didn't, or maybe they were being sensible and I was being blase. Must have been in the shop for ten minutes at most and when I left I actually stood in the doorway and involuntarily blurted out 'where the bloody hell did that come from', for the previously dank, dreary car park had been transformed into a snow covered paradise. An inch of snow had fallen and settled within moments. Blinking in disbelief I gingerly trod back to my car and headed for home through Narnia as quickly as I could. This is definitely not normal.

Heard from fellow soldier's Mum and the poor lamb has a tooth infection but her son is safe and well thank goodness. Always worry when a lost one is announced without being named, not that another mother's world hasn't imploded though, for this boy was another nineteen year old. RIP please Lord.

Just cooked Italian meatballs for R, her boyfriend and myself. Not heard from H so hope warfare training going well. No news from C so more same old same old please Lord.

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment