Wednesday 28 October 2009

Day 25 Week 4

Woken up by my mobile this morning which I had chosen to inexplicably leave downstairs. So frantic almost-dash in my restricted hobble to grab the phone from the chest of drawers in the hall - near lethal stagger worth it though because it was C calling from Afghanistan.

He was very sober and serious. Of course he can't really say anything. Afghanistan getting cold. Been 'out and about'. Living in a house on a compound with his platoon - good to know there's none of that me officer, you the men crap. Wants some galaxy chocolate - said I'd send him some today. Got my card yesterday - posted it on the 3rd so I guess 3 weeks is expected travelling time. Was going to ring his dad after me. They (between them all) get the use of the satellite phone for half an hour each day. Good to speak to H on Saturday. Told me he reads the blog and it's nice to know what's going on at home. It was half-one in the afternoon so found out there's a five hour time difference. Then he was gone. He sounded so old.

Lots of prayers to St Therese

A lovely colleague of mine from work has sent me a book of soldier's cartoons and I've just flicked through it as a kind of way of connecting with the Army. The humour is invariably irreverent and the images constantly ridicule pomposity. A thread which runs through the whole collection though, which begins with the first Gulf war in 1990 and finishes in 2000, is how the government expects more and more from those serving and yet is prepared to provide less and less by way of equipment. Two men sitting in a trench with one of them holding a shell saying "are you sure this is state of the art - it's got 'stuff the Kaiser' down the side".

Thank you so much for all your support - it's overwhelming.

Feel a bit sick today, don't know why.

Lots of positivity!

Speak soon. A soldier's Mum x

No comments:

Post a Comment